libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: libftdi-1.0 release

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 16:42:39 +0800
On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Thomas Jarosch
<thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Xiaofan,
>
> On Tuesday, 26. July 2011 02:59:02 Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>> Maybe we can use this thread as a start.
>>
>> Tasks to make libftdi-1.0 compatible with libftdi-0.19 without
>> API breakage. Uwe mentioned the following two points.
>> 1) To make EEPROM structure opaque
>> 2) To deal with ftdi_context
>> 3) update version information
>
> Thanks for starting this, your list looks very complete.
> Let's see what Uwe has to say.
>
>> API extenstions
>> 1) Add auto-re-attach kernel driver upon close mode
>> 2) ...
>
> 2) A function to query the library version,
>   either as string or as integers. Maybe both.

Good idea.

>> Tasks on improving the documentation and examples
>> 1) To mention dependency to libusb-1.0
>> 2) To deal with libusb-1.0 Windows situation
>> 3) Better documentation about the async mode
>> 4) Document the new EEPROM function
>> 5) Detailed comparison between 1.0 and 0.19
>> 6) ftd2xx to libftdi migration examples ?
>> 7) ...
>
> I think 1), and 5) are the most important ones.
> 4) would be nice to have, we can still do
> the others after a 1.0 release.

You are right. Things can be done post 1.0.

>> Build system
>> 1) Cmake improvement for Windows
>
> Any known issues?

It does not work out of the box for MinGW or Cygwin with
CMake under Windows.
http://libusb.6.n5.nabble.com/Win-libusb-1-0-snapshots-no-longer-work-with-cross-compiling-of-libftdi-1-0-tp2262878p2473199.html
http://libusb.6.n5.nabble.com/Win-libusb-1-0-snapshots-no-longer-work-with-cross-compiling-of-libftdi-1-0-tp2262878p2473397.html

But I think this is not that critical. I do not know much about
CMake myself.

>> 2) Better cross-compile instruction for MinGW
>
> Ok

The instruction is there, just need minor modifications,
like to update the libusb-win32 version.

>> 3) Add cross-compile instruction for MinGW-w64
>> 4) How to build the Python wrapper under Windows?
>> 5) How to build the Boost C++ wrapper under Windows?
>> 6) ?
>
> Hmm, I don't want to queue too many things for the 1.0 release,
> otherwise it won't happen this year. While having better Windows support
> is nice, I wouldn't want to delay the release for it if possible.

You are right. I have done 3 so it is not difficult, but MinGW-w64
is not that popular yet. I do not know how to do 4 and 5 myself.
So 3/4/5 can be delayed.

--
Xiaofan