libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: libftdi-1.0 release

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 10:42:17 +0800
On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Jason Hecker <jwhecker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Maybe we can use this thread as a start.
>
> It is fortuitous you made the nice new Windows devkit as I am trying
> to use it to get a new FTDI device working in AVRDUDE 5.10SVN in
> Windows with mingw32.

Glad to know it is of some use. :-)

The dev kit is just an experiment to help end users of the library.
And please take note libftdi-1.0 is not formally released. I think
the main project using libftdi-1.0's async I/O feature is urjtag.

Maybe I should make one for libftdi-0.19 for Windows as well
(one stop binaries for libftdi-0.19 and libusb-win32 1.2.5.0,
documentation to use the device driver mode or the filter
driver mode, etc).

> So far it all compiles now without complaint
> and sees my device as I was tearing my hair out last night until I
> discovered the differences between stock libftdi0.19 and your new
> libftdi1.0

It is not mine. :-) Jie Zhang is the original author and Uwe Bonnes is
the main contributor to libftdi-1.0 now.

The main difference is the dependency on libusb-1.0. And under
Windows, that means using WinUSB driver right now.

There is a version of libusb-1.0 Windows which will work with
libusb0.sys but it is not matured yet and not integrated into the
main libusb-1.0 git tree yet.

> The trouble was the FTDI patches I am working with depend
> on the old school libusb.  I think AVRDUDE should be brought kicking
> and screaming along to the libusb1.0 party so I'll work on doing that.

For Linux and Mac OS X, probably yes now. For Windows, there is
this complication of the slow release of libusb-1.0.9. Hopefully
it will be released really soon. Still it is good that you start to
experiment with libusb-1.0 and there are quite some projects
moving from libusb-0.1 to libusb-1.0 already.
Ref: http://www.libusb.org/wiki/libusb-1.0

> I am happy to be a beta tester for libftdi1.0 and once I get my widget
> working in Windows 32 bit I'll have at go at Windows 64 bit.

I can make a devkit for MinGW-w64 64bit as well. :-)

--
Xiaofan