libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: libftdi-1.0 release

From: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 09:16:33 +0200
Hello Xiaofan,

On Tuesday, 26. July 2011 02:59:02 Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> Maybe we can use this thread as a start.
>
> Tasks to make libftdi-1.0 compatible with libftdi-0.19 without
> API breakage. Uwe mentioned the following two points.
> 1) To make EEPROM structure opaque
> 2) To deal with ftdi_context
> 3) update version information

Thanks for starting this, your list looks very complete.
Let's see what Uwe has to say.

> API extenstions
> 1) Add auto-re-attach kernel driver upon close mode
> 2) ...

2) A function to query the library version,
   either as string or as integers. Maybe both.

> Tasks on improving the documentation and examples
> 1) To mention dependency to libusb-1.0
> 2) To deal with libusb-1.0 Windows situation
> 3) Better documentation about the async mode
> 4) Document the new EEPROM function
> 5) Detailed comparison between 1.0 and 0.19
> 6) ftd2xx to libftdi migration examples ?
> 7) ...

I think 1), and 5) are the most important ones.
4) would be nice to have, we can still do
the others after a 1.0 release.

> Build system
> 1) Cmake improvement for Windows

Any known issues?

> 2) Better cross-compile instruction for MinGW

Ok

> 3) Add cross-compile instruction for MinGW-w64
> 4) How to build the Python wrapper under Windows?
> 5) How to build the Boost C++ wrapper under Windows?
> 6) ?

Hmm, I don't want to queue too many things for the 1.0 release,
otherwise it won't happen this year. While having better Windows support
is nice, I wouldn't want to delay the release for it if possible.