libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: merging of libusb-1.0 support into mainline

From: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 09:44:05 +0200
On Thursday, 2. September 2010 05:47:10 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> if the ABI doesnt break, it's actually more of a pain to integrate
> different SONAMEs into binary distros.  a simple upgrade from
> libftdi-0.x to libftdi-1.x where one just replaces the other completely
> is a lot easier, and if it requires a new libusb, then that isnt a
> problem either.

The "ftdi_context" structure was expanded in libftdi-1.x,
IMHO this won't be ABI compatible.

> if there is truly a desire to keep support for older distros which dont
> support libusb-1.x yet, then adding an internal compat layer isnt hard.
> i did this for urjtag already.  so now the whole source uses libusb-1.x
> but if people are building against libusb-0.x, there is a local header
> to turn the 0.x API into the 1.x API.

The keyword here is "older". If the distro is too old to use libusb 1.x,
then it can also stick to an libftdi 0.x version and don't update it either.

btw: It's a good thing Mike started the discussion about
the first release of libftdi-1.x, so we can get this "right".