libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Writing EEPROM on FT232R / FT245R

From: Karl Cunningham <karlc@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:17:35 -0700
On 3/27/2009 12:44 PM, Jim Paris wrote:
Karl Cunningham wrote:
I just subscribed to this list because I had the same situation as
Marius Kintel did in his original post of the thread started on 25 Feb
2009 -- trouble programming an FT245R with libftdi. My apologies that
this message will likely not be threaded into the original in the archives.

In the email in this thread on 12-Mar-09 from Jim Paris and in the FTDI datasheet, I see mention of setting the latency timer to 77 (decimal) milliseconds to program the FT245R. The patch appears to set it to 0x77 (hex) ms.

I assume the value of 77ms is a minimum and 0x77 seems to work fine too, but I wanted to point this out in case it matters to anyone.

Hi Karl,

I'm aware of this discrepency -- it's from the FTDI document at

http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/AppNotes/AN_105_FTDI_Device_Programming_Using_Vinculum_VNC1L(FT_000078).pdf
which says 77ms.  I'm pretty sure this is just a typo, and it should
have read 119ms.

0x77 is the number we want, since that's what the AN-105 example code
shows, it's what MPROG uses under Windows, and it's what the D2XX
Linux drivers use in FT_EE_Program.

Thanks,
-jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

I can report that the current repository version of libftdi is working well programming the FT245R part.

Thanks.
Karl