libftdi Archives

Subject: windows 7 Python modules

From: Joachim Schambach <jschamba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 09:05:31 -0500
I have written a Python module ("extension") in Linux using code that calls
libftdi functions and successfully built it using the Python setup tools. Now I
am trying to port this to a Windows 7 machine, but am a little lost on how to
best go about this. A first attempt on compiling the same module under the
ActivePython distribution in Windows seems to want to use Microsoft Visual
Studio as the compiler. I did not see any version of libftdi compiled for that,
so do I first need to figure out how to compile the library itself under Windows
or is there a precompiled binary somewhere? I assume somehow I will also need
libusb for windows, so how do I go about that?
sorry if these are some very basic questions, but I couldn't find any writeup on
how to best go about this. The README only seems to indicate using mingw, but I
don't know how to combine this with the Python distribution under Windows.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Jo

--
Dr Joachim Schambach                 tel: +1 512 471 1303
The University of Texas at Austin    fax: +1 512 471 9637