libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: windows 7 Python modules

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 09:52:40 +0800
On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 10:05 PM, Joachim Schambach
<jschamba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have written a Python module ("extension") in Linux using code that calls
> libftdi functions and successfully built it using the Python setup tools. Now
> am trying to port this to a Windows 7 machine, but am a little lost on how to
> best go about this. A first attempt on compiling the same module under the
> ActivePython distribution in Windows seems to want to use Microsoft Visual
> Studio as the compiler. I did not see any version of libftdi compiled for
> that,
> so do I first need to figure out how to compile the library itself under
> Windows
> or is there a precompiled binary somewhere? I assume somehow I will also need
> libusb for windows, so how do I go about that?
> sorry if these are some very basic questions, but I couldn't find any writeup
> on
> how to best go about this. The README only seems to indicate using mingw, but
> don't know how to combine this with the Python distribution under Windows.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Cheers,
> Jo

I have compiled libftdi using MinGW (both 32bit MinGW.org and the 32/64bit
MinGW-w64 toolchain) under Windows.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/picusb/files/

On the other hand, I do not use Active Python but rather the
Python.org vanilla Python. I remembered that I have some
challenges getting 64bit Python 2.7 to work with MinGW-w64.

--
Xiaofan