libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Parallel installation of libftdi 1.x and 0.x

From: Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:22:56 +0200
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:42:50AM +0200, Thomas Jarosch wrote:
> Who is supposed to create the symlink? Distribution packages?
> Then it would depend on the installation order and that's not practical.
> I struggle with that when it happens with the "/usr/include/db.h" header:
> Sometimes it points to /usr/include/db3/db.h" or "/usr/include/db4/db.h".
> Took me quite some time to diagnose crashing applications.

Ehh. There is the "alternatives" package that can maintain these
things.

I've always known it was there, but recently I've had to use it
for the first time.
  http://wiki.ultimaker.com/ReplicatorG_Installation_Guide_for_Linux

Whenever a new "provider" of a feature is installed it "grabs" the
alternative.

The default "awk" on modern systems has a "read 4k of data before
doing any processing". I don't like that: I use awk
interactively. (i.e. provide a new line of data every 1, 5 or ten
seconds). So I do "apt-get install gawk" and I see the alternatives
system say someting like: "installing gawk to provide /usr/bin/awk".

> -> Let's not recommend the symlink by default, it's for "advanced" users ;)

That counters my "principle" that simple programs that are not
affected by the update get to update without any source changes.

        Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@xxxxxxxxxxxx ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **