libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Parallel installation of libftdi 1.x and 0.x

From: Robert Pearce <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 08:38:07 +0100
On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 20:34:38 -0400 Jim wrote:

> Can you remind us why we can't just dump libftdi 0.x for good and
> avoid all of this?

Are they 100% API compatible? 100% binary compatible? Because unless
you can guarantee a yes to both then somebody somewhere DOES NEED to
have both installed while their other applications catch up with the
porting. And that may be a long time if they're still using a legacy
app built against 0.18 and not actively being maintained.

I get these problems all the time with library updates. Being able to
"slot" them and have both versions installed at once makes life so much
easier.

Cheers,
Rob