libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Parallel installation of libftdi 1.x and 0.x

From: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Jim Paris <jim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 09:13:05 +0200
Hi Jim,

On Tuesday, 12. June 2012 02:34:38 Jim Paris wrote:
> Can you remind us why we can't just dump libftdi 0.x for good and
> avoid all of this?

Two things come to mind:

- Distributions need to install both libraries in parallel
  until all programs using the library are updated.
  F.e. libusb-devel 0.x and 1.x are both installed on my box.

- Users want to test behavior with the old and the new library
  in case something goes wrong (crashes, wrong data or speed issues etc.)

Some programs using libftdi certainly need code changes,
so it's not a drop-in replacement in all cases.