libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Parallel installation of libftdi 1.x and 0.x

From: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: aurelien@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:10:10 +0200
On Monday, 11. June 2012 22:21:58 Thomas Jarosch wrote:
> I propose the following changes for libftdi 1.x
> - libftdi-config -> libftdi-1.0-config
> - ftdi.h -> /usr/include/ftdi-1.0.h
> - libftdi.pc -> libftdi-1.0.pc (pkgconfig file). Also "libftdipp-1.0.pc"
> - we can't do much about possible man page clashes.
>   You can't prefix them in doxygen, just redirect
>   the output to a non-default directory
> - Rename "libftdi.spec" to "libftdi-1.0.spec"
>
> Now the big question: Should we also change the library name to
> "libftdi-1.0"? IMHO it's a good idea since broken linker flags might
> point to the previous libftdi 0.1 and result in very bogus error
> messages.

So, any opinion on this, especially the last one?

Reviewing it a week later, I actually prefer "libftdi1" over "libftdi-1.0"
as it looks less like the library version number. Though that would clash
with the debian package name.

If we stick to "libftdi-1.0", the debian package name might look
like "libftdi2-1.0". Let's see what Aurelien has to say.