libftdi Archives

Subject: FTDI Questions

From: John Battle <jobattle@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 17:00:13 -0700
Hi

I have a couple of questions regarding libftdi/libusb on Linux 64 Bit (Kernel 3.0) Ubuntu 11.10.

I am attempting to communicate with a FT2232H and would like some advice:

1. How can I tell which library versions I have installed on a system?

2. Can I have more than one version installed at the same time?

3. I need to communicate in the high speed mode. Is there any advantage to installing libftdi-1.0 or can I just stick to ther version that got installed with the os installation.

4. Is there a binary of 1.0 or do I have to build it from source (I had trouble getting it to build)

5. How can I most easily test to see that I am communicating with the FTDI chip? Can I send a file and looking at the chip pins with a scope or something like that?

6. What is the best way to get data into the chip at a rate of around 20MBPS? Serial or parallel or does it matter?

Thanks

John Battle
Caltech