libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: libftdi-1.0 release

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 21:27:35 +0800
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Thomas Jarosch
<thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sunday, 27. May 2012 03:43:24 Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>> Sorry to rehash this thread. But now that libusb project
>> has finally released libusb-1.0.9 and the fork libusbx
>> project has released libusbx-1.0.11 and progressed
>> quite nicely, the main hurdle of using libftdi-1.0 under
>> Windows is now gone.
>>
>> Shall we plan the libftdi-1.0 formal release from now on?
>>
>> libusbx roadmap:
>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/libusbx/roadmap
>>
>> 1.0.13 will bring libusb-win32 driver (including filter driver)
>> support. In that case, people can keep using the original
>> FTDI driver and just install libusb-win32 device filter driver
>> on top to use libftdi-1.0, no need to replace FTDI driver
>> with winusb.
>
> Thanks for pinging :)
>
> I don't think the opaque ftdi_context data structure with _get() / _set()
> functions will happen anytime soon. As it was never an original goal
> of the 1.x release, I think it's fine to release without it.
>
> Two things we need to sort out:
> 1. Make sure 0.x and 1.x libraries can be installed in parallel
> without any funny surprises. I'll investigate that this week.

Yes that is a difficult point to solve. Without changing
the header file name and library name, it is difficult.

> 2. Update the documentation. Here's your original list:
>    1) To mention dependency to libusb-1.0
>    2) To deal with libusb-1.0 Windows situation
>    3) Better documentation about the async mode
>    4) Document the new EEPROM function
>    5) Detailed comparison between 1.0 and 0.19
>    6) ftd2xx to libftdi migration examples ?
>    7) ...
>
> Which of the above TODO entries do you consider a MUST?

In my opinion,
1) is a MUST but it is not difficult.
2) is no longer an issue.
3) and 4) are good to have.
5) is to nice, but how detailed is detailed can be decided along
the way.
6) is not necessary.

--
Xiaofan