libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Writing and reading to a FT232R

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 14:52:55 +0800
On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Ampt,Maurice M.L.
<m.ampt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just completely cleared my system of libusb and libftdi
> and got libusb 1.0.8
> from http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb/files/latest
> This was done because you suggested to get the most recent
> version instead of relying on packages.
> Because of that I also got the most recent libftdi from the same
> source as before, this is version 0.19.

This might be confusing but libftdi-0.19 will depend on legacy
libusb-0.1 package (which has usb.h). Some of the distros
(Debian and Ubuntu) offer legacy libusb-0.1 package, many other
distros (eg: Fedora) offer libusb-compat-0.1 package (which provides
compatible usb.h) which is a compatible layer on top of
libusb-1.0 (which provides libusb.h).

The latest master branch of libftdi git repository points to
libftdi-1.0 by default which is based on libusb-1.0 API. It also
has the libftdi-0.x branch which is based on the libusb-0.1 API.
http://www.intra2net.com/en/developer/libftdi/repository.php

More about libusb-1.0 and libusb-0.1 can be found in libusb.org
http://www.libusb.org/

--
Xiaofan