libftdi Archives

Subject: RE: libftdi versus libftd2xx

From: "Michael Plante" <michael.plante@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 00:31:02 -0400
pbhat wrote:
>> I'm starting a new project, and debating whether to use libftd2xx (FTDI's
>> proprietary driver), or libftdi (from Thomas Jarosch).

d2xx is buggy, or at least it was when I looked at it a couple years ago.
Subtle things, but things that nevertheless indicated basic
misunderstandings by the people who wrote it.  This applies both to the
Linux and Windows versions.

>> My question:
>> Does libftdi have the same limitation, that it cannot work when ftdi_sio
is
>> running?

Yes.  But libusb has a way to detach a driver.  libftdi knows how to access
that, but there has been some debate as to whether it should and when.  I'm
not sure where that stands right now.

Regards,
Michael