libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Claiming devices has no effect under Linux

From: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 09:24:06 +0200
On Tuesday, 5. October 2010 19:15:29 Thomas Klose wrote:
> If I understand right, your solution does not address this issues. It is
> just an opinion, but I think the only clean solution would be to remove
> this function call at all. If the user wants to detach a driver, he
> should do it by himself, e.g. by calling the usb_detach function. For
> convenience maybe helper functions (ftdi_detach_sio(),
> ftdi_detach_sio_desc(), et cetera) could be implemented.

Before the detach code was in place, I've received an email about every week
why their code was unable to open the FTDI device (which was clearly
listed by lsusb). I don't want to go back to that again...

Later on we added a hint to the website, in fact it's still there:
http://www.intra2net.com/en/developer/libftdi/documentation.php
Though it didn't help much...

Regards,