libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Claiming devices has no effect under Linux

From: Thomas Klose <thomas.klose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 10:39:24 +0200
Am Mittwoch, den 06.10.2010, 16:31 +0800 schrieb Xiaofan Chen:
> Sorry but this is the way how libusb works. I do not under why you say
> this is not the Linux way to do things. If you use libusb, you have
> to detach the kernel driver.

If the device has a VID/PID which is associated with a kernel module I
would expect that module to be loaded. If a device is not intended to be
used with sio it *must* use another VID/PID. This is the whole idea
behind the VID/PID system.

If for some reason the user explicitly does not want the system to load
a certain module, he can create an blacklist entry in /etc/modprobe.d

This is the Linux way to do those things.