libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Claiming devices has no effect under Linux

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 16:27:22 +0800
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Uwe Bonnes
<bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All you can do with libftdi can also be done with libftd2xx, at least under
> windows (ftd2xx  for linux wasn't updated for some time, so it doesn't know
> e.g about the FT2232H user area), so why care for libftdi at all?
>
> But maybe we need more options when opening
> - Unload ftdi_sio, if loaded
I think this is still the best option.

> - Fail if ftdi-sio is loaded
This does not really make sense for the intention of libftdi, which
is based on libusb (0.1 or 1.0) and libusb requires to detach
the kernel ftdi-sio driver. In that case, the use should not
use libftdi in the first place.

> - Provide multiple access (by unloading "usbfs")
I think this is good to have. To me it is a bug of libusb,
a legacy from the original libusb-0.1 and carry on toe
libusb-1.0. I think your patch is good.

--
Xiaofan