libftdi Archives

Subject: RE: Claiming devices has no effect under Linux

From: Uwe Bonnes <bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 20:17:35 +0200

    Thomas> Am Dienstag, den 05.10.2010, 12:55 -0500 schrieb Michael Plante:
    >> Thomas Klose wrote: >> Am Dienstag, den 05.10.2010, 19:38 +0200
    >> schrieb Thomas Klose: >> > Setting an alternative PID is not a
    >> problem at all. You can download a >> > tool from FTDI's website to
    >> do it.

    >> string :)
    >>
    >> Does it require Windows?  If not, does it depend on being able to use
    >> libusb to detach the driver? :)
    Thomas> :D

    Thomas> It requires Windows. But it runs without problems in a virtual
    Thomas> one. ;)

All you can do with libftdi can also be done with libftd2xx, at least under
windows (ftd2xx  for linux wasn't updated for some time, so it doesn't know
e.g about the FT2232H user area), so why care for libftdi at all?

But maybe we need more options when opening
- Unload ftdi_sio, if loaded
- Fail if ftdi-sio is loaded
- Provide multiple access (by unloading "usbfs")

Bye
--
Uwe Bonnes                bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx