libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Use libusb 1.0

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:12:01 +0800
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 12:52 AM, Michael
Plante<michael.plante@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Should we still keep support for libusb 0.1 because libusb 1.0 is not
>>> supported on Windows?
>
> Is there a plan for libusb-win32 to support the 1.0 architecture?  Are there
> any issues with the driver doing this, or is it just user-space
> modifications?  Given all the certificate talk, *if* it's ever going to
> happen, it should be in the next year or so.
>
>>> 3. ...
>>> We can roll out a last release which support libusb 0.1
>>> API and in future we will not support libusb 0.1 in new releases. If
>>> people want to use libftdi with libusb 0.1, they can use that release.
>
> Simply abandoning 0.1 support bothers me, since FTDI continues to release
> new chips, but (correct me if I'm wrong) development of a version of libusb
> 1.0 supporting win32 doesn't seem to have seen any progress recently.

Please take note that libusb-win32 1.0 and libusb 1.0 are totally
different, not even API compatible.

So even libusb-win32 1.0 is finished, it is not compatible with
libusb 1.0. And currently there is no porting work being done
to port libusb 1.0 to Windows.

--
Xiaofan http://mcuee.blogspot.com