libftdi Archives

Subject: RE: Use libusb 1.0

From: "Michael Plante" <michael.plante@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 11:52:16 -0500
>> Should we still keep support for libusb 0.1 because libusb 1.0 is not
>> supported on Windows?

Is there a plan for libusb-win32 to support the 1.0 architecture?  Are there
any issues with the driver doing this, or is it just user-space
modifications?  Given all the certificate talk, *if* it's ever going to
happen, it should be in the next year or so.

>> 1. Add a lot of #if...#else...#endif in source code. There will be too
>> many such cases. The code will look very ugly.

This doesn't seem appropriate, unless "helper" functions can be defined that
provide a translation, putting the #ifdefs in those.  I agree this is ugly.

>> 3. ...
>> We can roll out a last release which support libusb 0.1
>> API and in future we will not support libusb 0.1 in new releases. If
>> people want to use libftdi with libusb 0.1, they can use that release.

Simply abandoning 0.1 support bothers me, since FTDI continues to release
new chips, but (correct me if I'm wrong) development of a version of libusb
1.0 supporting win32 doesn't seem to have seen any progress recently.

http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-libusb-1.0-for-windows-%28Re%3A-libusb-1.0.0-rel
eased%21%29-p22961991.html

The repo linked to doesn't appear to show mods in almost 2 years.

http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-winusb-Vs-Libusb-p18866310.html

Michael