libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Status of async mode

From: Daryl Lee <daryl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 09:47:15 -0600
I solved my problem by reverting to libusb version 0.1.12.   It seems that
libftdi was built on that version, and then some structures were changed in
libusb that broke libftdi.  Rather then spend a lot of time fixing either or
both of them, I just reverted and I'm done for now.  I'll keep an eye on
libftdi development to see if it "catches up" with libusb, but for now I'm done.

Jie Zhang wrote:
> Thomas Jarosch wrote:
>> Hello Daryl,
>>
>> On Saturday, 11. July 2009 01:35:28 Daryl Lee wrote:
>>> I am trying to use libftdi in async mode, and have a question about the
>>> status of it, before I spend too much time wandering through the weeds.
>>>
>>> Questions:
>>> 1.  Is it well-tested?
>>> 2.  Is it known to work when the device is opened with
>>> ftdi_usb_open_desc?
>>>
>>> Reason for asking:
>>> I'm getting a crash in ftdi_async_complete any time I call it, directly
>>> or indirectly, as in ftdi_usb_close().  The value of ftdi->usb_dev->fd
>>> looks really odd.  I expected something file-descriptor-ish, as a small
>>> integer. I have a very large integer (134607408).  Right now, I'm
>>> looking
>>> for the place where that value gets set, but I thought I'd take a moment
>>> to ask for other eyes.  The crash occurs on the call to FD_SET from
>>> inside
>>> _usb_async_cleanup, and the documentation on FD_SET makes it look
>>> like it
>>> wants a normal file descriptor.
>>
>> I guess we (=Intra2net AG) are the only ones using this mode.
>> So I'd rather call it expermiental-but-works-for-us :-)
>> No crash known to me so far. Did you find anything out?
>>
> I'm working on making UrJTAG using async mode to improve the memory read
> performance. But the currently libftdi is lack of an async read function.
>
> I'm also trying to make libftdi to use libusb-1.0 API. So we can use the
> async API provided by libusb-1.0.
>

> Jie
>

> --
> libftdi - see http://www.intra2net.com/en/developer/libftdi for details.

Daryl Lee
www.daryllee.com
The music never ends till strangers turn to friends. -- Medema