libftdi Archives

Subject: read problem

From: "Rob Coker" <rcoker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 12:59:42 -0500

I'm trying to communicate to a device that uses an FTDI 232 chip from a Gumstix Airstorm Overo COM (Cortex-A8 CPU) on a custom base board using meta-embedded as the Linux distro.  I built/installed libftdi for this.  I already had libusb 1.x installed.  When I connect the device, it shows up in lsusb.  I'm able to use libusb calls to open it and query the serial number.  All that works.  When I send data, it seems to be successful (no error on libusb transfer call, bytesWritten is correct), but receiving data is not.  All I get is the 2 modem status bytes back which libftdi seems to always return.  At one point I received a partial message that was correct, but the last byte or two of the message was dropped.

I am pretty sure about my endpoints and transfer mode based on the output of lsusb -v.

I have a number of related questions:
1. Is there an incompatibility between libusb and libftdi?  Particularly this could center around libftdi returning modem status and libusb thinking that's the whole message to receive.  Is there a way around this?

2. Would going to libftdi 1.2 fix anything?
3. Would it make sense to interact with libftdi directly?

4. I can get lots of libusb debug info.  Is there a way to get libftdi specific debug info when making calls through libusb?

Some of these questions may be better for the libusb forum, but this seemed the best place to start.  I've also posted on the gumstix forum.

Thanks,
Rob