libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: read problem

From: Uwe Bonnes <bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 11:12:41 +0200

    Rob> I'm trying to communicate to a device that uses an FTDI 232 chip
    Rob> from a Gumstix Airstorm Overo COM (Cortex-A8 CPU) on a custom base
    Rob> board using meta-embedded as the Linux distro.  I built/installed
    Rob> libftdi for this.  I already had libusb 1.x installed.  When I
    Rob> connect the device, it shows up in lsusb.  I'm able to use libusb
    Rob> calls to open it and query the serial number.  All that works.
    Rob> When I send data, it seems to be successful (no error on libusb
    Rob> transfer call, bytesWritten is correct), but receiving data is not.
    Rob> All I get is the 2 modem status bytes back which libftdi seems to
    Rob> always return.  At one point I received a partial message that was
    Rob> correct, but the last byte or two of the message was dropped.

    Rob> I am pretty sure about my endpoints and transfer mode based on the
    Rob> output of lsusb -v.

    Rob> I have a number of related questions: 1. Is there an
    Rob> incompatibility between libusb and libftdi?  Particularly this
    Rob> could center around libftdi returning modem status and libusb
    Rob> thinking that's the whole message to receive.  Is there a way
    Rob> around this?

    Rob> 2. Would going to libftdi 1.2 fix anything?  3. Would it make sense
    Rob> to interact with libftdi directly?

    Rob> 4. I can get lots of libusb debug info.  Is there a way to get
    Rob> libftdi specific debug info when making calls through libusb?

    Rob> Some of these questions may be better for the libusb forum, but
    Rob> this seemed the best place to start.  I've also posted on the
    Rob> gumstix forum.

Did you check the physical layer on the TX/RX lines. Are there signals
as you expected? Can you decode with a logic analyser?

Otherwise recent libftdi also uses libusb, but libftdi was not updated for
about 3 years with update intentions denied. So newer parts are not
supported.

But if things don't work one way, trying another way may be an option.

Bye

--
Uwe Bonnes                bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx