libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: windows 7 Python modules

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 10:54:24 +0800
On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 12:45 AM, Joachim Schambach
<jschamba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have invented my own protocol to communicate with an FPGA based board
> we designed that uses an FTDI chip to provide USB  access. This protocol
> includes functions like readRegister, writeRegister, readMemory,
> writeMemory, etc.
> I have a C++ library that provides these functions to the command line,
> or to a (C++) application program.
> At some point, we decided it would be nice to have scripting capability
> for these functions and decided on Python to provide this. It was easy
> to convert the library into a Python "extension" module under Linux and
> compile it.
> Now one of our users wants to do the scripting in Windows, so I am
> trying to simply compile the same module under Windows.
> From the libftdi web the claim is that it works under Windows, so I
> thought it would be easy to port this module, which I am now finding is
> a little more work than I thought. I didn't want to have to re-write the
> whole protocol in Python again (having to try to figure out how to do
> that), but rather just provide the final "user" function in Python, thus
> the idea to compile the protocol as a module...
> cheers,

I see. It should work. I think you can try the 32bit Python first with
MinGW.org or MinGW-w64 32bit toolchain to see if that works.
32bit Python 2.7 has an import library named libpython27.a for MinGW.

Forget about 64bit Python 2.7 for a while, there Python did not
provide the import library for MinGW and there is more trouble
there.
Ref: http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw-w64/mailman/message/30503023/

--
Xiaofan