libftdi Archives

Subject: RE: strange chip select issue

From: "Chaves, Kevin" <kevin.chaves@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 11:24:20 -0700
> Did you check the EEPROM hint?

The eeprom is allegedly identical between the two boards.

> Another hint: Be sure you talk to the _right_ chip. Either have only one FTDI
> chip on any USB connector of the PC or use some serial number to talk to the
> exact chip.

Ok I'm not entirely sure what the right commands are.

Currently the lib I'm using... appears to be setting all bits low? I'm not
sure. There is a define saying SET_BITS_LOW, prior to writing our data

I'm guessing these 3 bytes toggle the pins
80 00 FB <- our libftdi implementation does this
80 00 0B <- libMPSSE sends this

They both send the next 3 bytes after, which looks like a write (11), bytecount
-1 (0f), 00 <- don't know what the zeros are for

11 0f 00

Then our 16 bytes of data
xx... xx

Lastly, reset the pins
80 08 FB <- libftdi
80 08 08 <- libMPSSE

> Anything in the system log regarding USB communication or FTDI devices?

> Otherwise, write a short test in pure libftdi to toggle the pin. It's not
> more than
> - opening the _right_ chip
> - switch to MPSSE Mode
> - construct a MPSSE command to set the _right_ pin as output with 0 as output
> - construct a MPSSE command to set the _right_ pin as output with 1 as output
> - send both strings alternating
> The examples should be a good staring point.

> That excludes libMPSSE as possible error source.

Are there any good descriptions on how to create these commands? And what they
do? The thing I don't get is that the "SET_BITS_LOW" command takes 00, and
takes 08 to reset it.