libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: How to install libftdi under Win7

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 22:54:39 +0800
On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM, Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Yes you should be able to do that by yourself. You need to
>> have MinGW and CMake. But I have not tried to use
>> Python 3.2 and 3.3 myself.
>>
>> Take note for Python 3.3, you need to put the dll in the
>> Python directory since there is a bug that it does not
>> recognize dll in the system directory.
>> ref: http://bugs.python.org/issue16283
>>
>> Please try the build by yourself and if you have problems,
>> I will try to help.
>>
>> You may find it easier to use CMake-GUI under Windows
>> if you are not that familiar with CMake (like myself). From
>> CMake, you can choose to build for MinGW Makefile and
>> then manually specify the libusb-1.0 include file and lib file
>> directory. It should be able to find system Python directory
>> by itself. Then you can at least build the libftdi1-1.0 dll
>> and the Python binding by yourself.
>
> You also need swig as well. You may need to manually
> specify the location of swig.
>
> CMake 2.8.10.2: http://www.cmake.org/
> MinGW GCC: http://www.mingw.org
> swig: http://www.swig.org/
> Python: http://www.python.org (32bit)

So I just tried Python 3.3 x86 and the libftdi1-1.0
Python binding seems to work fine.

c:\work\libftdi\libftdi1-1.0\examples\python>path=%path%;C:\Python33_x86

c:\work\libftdi\libftdi1-1.0\examples\python>c:\Python33_x86\python.exe
simple.py
[FTDI version] major: 1, minor: 0, micro: 0, version_str: 1.0,
snapshot_str: unknown
ftdi.usb_open(): 0
ftdi.set_baudrate(): 0

c:\work\libftdi\libftdi1-1.0\examples\python>c:\Python33_x86\python.exe
complete.py
Number of FTDI devices found: 1

Device #0: manufacturer="FTDI" description="FT232R USB UART" serial="A8007Ub5"

turning everything on
turning everything off

enabling bit #0 (0x01)
enabling bit #1 (0x02)