libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Re: How to install libftdi under Win7

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 23:04:52 +0800
On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM, Robert Schilling
> <Fun_Extra_300@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Thank you for your step-by-step documentation.
>>
>> Unfortunatly I still have some errors. If I try to execute a python
>> script I only get:
>>
>> $ python simple.py
>> [FTDI version] major: 1, minor: 0, micro: 0, version_str: 1.0,
>> snapshot_str: unknown
>> ftdi.usb_open(): -4
>> ftdi.set_baudrate(): -3
>>
>> I also tried your last build. The strange thing is that the examples
>> of bin folder result in the same error:
>>
>> $ simple.exe
>> Initialized libftdi 1.0 (major: 1, minor: 0, micro: 0, snapshot ver: unknown)
>> unable to open ftdi device: -4 (usb_open() failed)
>
> Did you install the WinUSB driver using Zadig?

This is documented in libftdi1's README.mingw file.
http://developer.intra2net.com/git/?p=libftdi;a=blob;f=README.mingw
++++++++++++++
   * How to run libftdi-1.x under Windows *

   libusbx (or libusb-1.0) Windows backend will rely on a proper driver to run.
   Please refer to the following wiki page on the instruction of
   installation of the proper driver.

https://github.com/libusbx/libusbx/wiki/Windows-Backend#wiki-How_to_use_libusbx_on_Windows

  As of Jan 09 2013, libusb-1.0 Windows backend only supports WinUSB
  and libusbx's support of libusb0.sys and libusbk.sys are considered less
  mature than WinUSB. Therefore, WinUSB driver installation using Zadig
  is recommended.

  Take note once you replace the original FTDI driver with WinUSB driver,
  you can no longer use the functionality the original FTDI driver provides
  (eg. Virtual Serial Port or D2XX).