libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: How to install libftdi under Win7

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 21:16:39 +0800
On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM, Robert Schilling <Fun_Extra_300@xxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> thanks for the answer. I found out that sinc'e I'm using python3.2
>> the module chan't be loaded because _ftdi.pyd has a dependency
>> to python27.dll.
>>
>> I tried to compile libftdi by myself but poorly failes :/ Would it be
>> possible to compile the python bindings for python 3.2?
>>

> Yes you should be able to do that by yourself. You need to
> have MinGW and CMake. But I have not tried to use
> Python 3.2 and 3.3 myself.
>
> Take note for Python 3.3, you need to put the dll in the
> Python directory since there is a bug that it does not
> recognize dll in the system directory.
> ref: http://bugs.python.org/issue16283
>
> Please try the build by yourself and if you have problems,
> I will try to help.
>
> You may find it easier to use CMake-GUI under Windows
> if you are not that familiar with CMake (like myself). From
> CMake, you can choose to build for MinGW Makefile and
> then manually specify the libusb-1.0 include file and lib file
> directory. It should be able to find system Python directory
> by itself. Then you can at least build the libftdi1-1.0 dll
> and the Python binding by yourself.

You also need swig as well. You may need to manually
specify the location of swig.

CMake 2.8.10.2: http://www.cmake.org/
MinGW GCC: http://www.mingw.org
swig: http://www.swig.org/
Python: http://www.python.org (32bit)

> It is more difficult to build the boost bindings and the
> unit test program. It is also not so easy to build
> ftdi_eeprom because of the use of libconfuse.

The full list of tools used for the MinGW 32bit devkit
is here.
http://code.google.com/p/picusb/downloads/detail?name=libftdi1-1.0_devkit_mingw32.zip

I will probably uploaded another package with the
Boost binding included. I will try to sort out the
issue with unit test program first but I may just
upload the package without the unit test program.

--
Xiaofan