libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: kudos

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 22:37:09 +0800
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> One question:  I was able to cross-compile libftdi-0.20 on linux
>> for Windows.  Is it possible to compile libftdi on Windows natively?
>>

> Yes. Search the mailing list archive. You can use CMake
> and MinGW.org or MinGW-w64.
>
> An example for libftdi-1.0, libftdi-0.20 is simpler.
> http://libusb.6.n5.nabble.com/Win-libusb-1-0-snapshots-no-longer-work-with-cross-compiling-of-libftdi-1-0-td2262878i20.html#a2473199

The above is a long thread. So you need to read a few
posts.

This is simpler.
http://developer.intra2net.com/mailarchive/html/libftdi/2010/msg00249.html

> If you need Boost C++ binding, you may have to use
> MinGW from here.
> http://nuwen.net/mingw.html

I have used the above toolchain to generate the binary
here. I can do it for release 0.20 as well if people want it.
http://picusb.googlecode.com/files/libftdi_0.19git_devkit_mingw32_27August2011.zip

Date of compilation: 27-August-2011
Xiaofan Chen

libftdi-git commit: e5fe881640844db2eea48f36cee7a905f5937b8a

To use libftdi git version under Windows, you need to use libusb-win32 driver.

There are two methods to use libusb-win32.
1) To install device driver, use Driver\inf-wizard to replace the
existing FTDI driver to libusb-win32 device driver.

2) To install filter driver, use Driver\libusb-win32-devel-filter-1.2.5.0
to install the filter driver on top of FTDI driver. This will ensure
you can still run FTDI d2xx based application.

The two driver installers works under 32bit and 64bit Windows.

To test if the driver installation is working, run bin\testlibusb-win.exe
to see if the device is recognized and the descriptors are dumped.

The copyright information about libftdi and libusb-win32 are inside
the copyright directory.

The html_doc directory is the doxygen generated compiled HTML document
for libftdi.
libusb-win32 wiki is at the following URL.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/libusb-win32/wiki

The bin directory contains the dlls and example program for libftdi git and
libusb-win32 1.2.5.0. The source codes for the examples programs are inside
the source sub-directory.

libusb-win32 source codes can be downloaded at its Sourceforge site.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/files/libusb-win32-releases/1.2.5.0/

libusb-0.19 git tree can be found here.
http://developer.intra2net.com/git/?p=libftdi

The source code snapshot is also included in the src subdirectory.

Tools used to build this package. This is the first time I am using
non-MinGW.org distro of MinGW (due to the desire to build the Boost
wrapper) and hopefully this does not create big problems.
CMake 2.8.5: http://www.cmake.org/
Doxygen 1.7.1: http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/
MinGW with Boost: http://nuwen.net/mingw.html version 7.2, containing
GCC 4.6.1 and Boost 1.47.0.