libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: kudos

From: Thomas Heller <theller@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 17:03:53 +0200
Am 03.04.2012 16:26, schrieb Uwe Bonnes:
"Thomas" == Thomas Heller<theller@xxxxxxxxxx>  writes:

     Thomas>  I'm fascinated that I'm able with libftdi to write with nearly
     Thomas>  20MB/s and at the same time read with the same datarate to a
     Thomas>  FT2232H in sync-fifo mode.  Great work!
Huch,

as I understand, libftdi-0.20 uses libusb0 and so your tests was _not_ with
stream_test.c.

Correct.

Are you sure, you didn't sink or source data from something equivalent to
/dev/null or /dev/zero?
Can you show your code?
What was your machine/usb-chipset?

Sure it is something similar to /dev/null currently.  I'm using a
FT2232H minimodule, TXE# is connected to WR#, and RXF# is connected to
RD#.  Let's just assume that my FPGA that I will connect next can keep
up with the read/write cycles.

My program uses a home-grown ctypes based python wrapper for libftdi,
it reads resp. writes in 1MB blocks from/to the minimodule. The functions that I use are ftdi_read_data() and ftdi_write_data(); the
program measures the time that these calls take and reports a datarate
of 19.xxx MB/s in each thread.

I'm looking with an oscilloscope at the RD# and WR# signals, a screen shot is attached. I can see bursts of 8 block (of 512 bytes probably).

The PC is a lenovo W520 notebook, running Win7 64-bit.