libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: FT2232H + LCD?

From: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:56:51 +0100
On Monday, 12. December 2011 04:42:25 Daniel O'Shea wrote:
> Hello, this is my first message to the list and I am very happy to have
> found my way here - I want to get some opinions on an idea I have, to
> find out if it sounds like I am on the right track or just barking up
> the wrong tree! I want to use the FT2232H to drive a 2.4" LCD display
> over USB.

You might want to look at the "i2500vfd" driver in LCDproc.

Some features which might be relevant, performance wise:
- 140x32 pixels resolution
- 27 fps (with hardware double buffering)
- B/W with two additional gray scale colors
- No MPSSE mode or anything, uses a micro controller to receive the data
  and drive the display (we drive the VFD tube directly).

The trick for decent performance was to use a packed pixel format.

IIRC we also don't use the full 8 bits of the FT245BM chip, two or so
are reserved for in-field/remote flashing of the Atmel micro controller.

That display is also the reason we developed libftdi in the first place :)