libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: FT2232H + LCD?

From: "Daniel O'Shea" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 22:34:49 +1100
On 12/12/11 21:52, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
Bit Banging is a slow interface. CPU-style FIFO  ist faster, as is FT245
asynchronous FIFO and fastest is Synchronous FIFO.

I was leaning towards that mode as it seems to be the most directly compatible with the ILI9325? The other modes look like they're more about the FT2232H being on the receiving side rather than the sending side?

     Daniel>  http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/ILI9325.pdf

You realize that the chip is unpackaged and needs to be bonded by the
customer?

Yes, I am looking at packaged LCDs with this chip already onboard.

Setting some pins to select a register on Interface B while data transfer is
on Interface A  will be sloooow. You will need to make sure that the
transaction has completed on Interface B before you start the transaction on
Interface A. Both interfaces are not "tightly integrated".

That shouldn't be such a big issue though, as once the setup / initialisation is complete all the Interface B GPIOs need to do is continually hold the 'Chip Select' pin low while the pixel data is being transmitted?

I would suggest to use some uC or programmable logic together with the
ILI9325. The uC/FPGA would connect to the ILI9325, and the FTDI would pump
data to this part. Maybe even the FTDI is not needed when the uC has a HS
USB Interface.

OK, thank you for the suggestions!