libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: ft4232h & control of peripherals

From: Robert Pearce <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 20:48:54 +0000
Hi Matt,

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:35:31 -0000 you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some custom hw that has an FT4232 device which I need to control
> from linux.

I also have some custom hardware with an FT4232 in it, hooked up to a
Linux box.

> I'm currently contemplating if I'm better off controlling the
> device using libftdi or accessing /dev/ttyUSB<x> by a user program. I'm
> not sure if the latter is even possible. Is it? If so, do you know if one
> of the standard USB serial drivers in the kernel could be used? Kernel
> being fairly recent, 2.6.38 of thereabouts. How could this be done in this
> case?

The kernel has good support for FT4232 as a quad serial port, from the
ftdi_sio module (the kernel help incorrectly describes this as for
"single channel" FTDI devices but it covers the whole family)

> Requirements of the FT4232 in terms of usage of its controllers/channels
> are to:
>
> 1/ Interface to a device via JTAG.
> 2/ Interface to a device via RS232.
> 3/ Interface to a device via i2c.

This, however, is a problem. The kernel only supports these devices as
serial ports. If you want JTAG or I2C you will need to use libftdi.
Furthermore I don't think libftdi and ftdi_sio play nicely together, so
you will need to do the RS232 with libftdi too. If you have a custom
PID (FTDI will issue you a batch if you ask) then the kernel will not
try to use ftdi_sio for your device so using libftdi should be no
problem.

I'll leave the other questions to the experts as I've not tried doing
I2C or JTAG

Cheers,
Rob