libftdi Archives

Subject: ft4232h & control of peripherals

From: "Matt" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:35:31 -0000
Hi,

I have some custom hw that has an FT4232 device which I need to control
from linux. I'm currently contemplating if I'm better off controlling the
device using libftdi or accessing /dev/ttyUSB<x> by a user program. I'm
not sure if the latter is even possible. Is it? If so, do you know if one
of the standard USB serial drivers in the kernel could be used? Kernel
being fairly recent, 2.6.38 of thereabouts. How could this be done in this
case?

Requirements of the FT4232 in terms of usage of its controllers/channels
are to:

1/ Interface to a device via JTAG.
2/ Interface to a device via RS232.
3/ Interface to a device via i2c.

I believe this is possible with the FT4232 using the MPSSEs on channels A
and B configured in bit-bang mode. The datasheet states that the MPSSEs of
the device can be configured in a number of industry standard serial bus
configurations but I'm looking at the source of libftdi at the moment
(v0.19) and can't see how this is performed.

Can anybody help?

Many thanks,
--  Matt