libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: ft4232h & control of peripherals

From: "Matt" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 09:46:47 -0000
Hi Rob, and thanks for the info.

> The kernel has good support for FT4232 as a quad serial port, from the
> ftdi_sio module (the kernel help incorrectly describes this as for
> "single channel" FTDI devices but it covers the whole family)

That's good to know. I wasn't sure how this would be presented to user
space, ie if it was 4 x /dev/ttyUSB<x> or a single /dev/ttyUSB<x>.

>> Requirements of the FT4232 in terms of usage of its controllers/channels
>> are to:
>>
>> 1/ Interface to a device via JTAG.
>> 2/ Interface to a device via RS232.
>> 3/ Interface to a device via i2c.
>>
> This, however, is a problem. The kernel only supports these devices as
> serial ports. If you want JTAG or I2C you will need to use libftdi.
> Furthermore I don't think libftdi and ftdi_sio play nicely together, so
> you will need to do the RS232 with libftdi too. If you have a custom
> PID (FTDI will issue you a batch if you ask) then the kernel will not
> try to use ftdi_sio for your device so using libftdi should be no
> problem.

Ok. Understood. It sounds like I can't use the ftdi_sio driver then as I
need to have an i2c implementation on one channel and JTAG on another.
This isn't a problem as I can just not compile this driver into the
kernel.

Just to be clear though, there's definitely no way I can configure a
channel to do i2c or JTAG by accessing the /dev/ttyUSB<x> device via the
ftdi_sio driver?

> I'll leave the other questions to the experts as I've not tried doing
> I2C or JTAG

No problem. If I can configure the device as per items 1,2 & 3 above using
libftdi then this should solve my problems. From looking at the code it's
not clear how I can do this, though. If anybody else out there could give
me a few pointers I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks again.
Cheers,
--  Matt