libftdi Archives

Subject: RE: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is a subscribers only list

From: "Michael Plante" <michael.plante@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 08:28:19 -0400
petr.jakes.tpc@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> To achive this goal we need:
>>
>> SPI (MOSI, MISO, CLK)
>>
>> 1x PWM (5kHz to 10 kHz)
>>
>> 1x Output pin (output signal frequency max. 50 Hz)
>>
>> Do you think this is doable using the FTDI chip? If yes, any hints and/or
>> examples are highly appreciated.

Are you planning on putting some sort of IC in between, like a small
microcontroller or a CPLD?  Generating PWM in software, particularly a
non-RTOS, is not a great idea to begin with.  You'll need to look at what
tolerances you have on that PWM, for one thing, in terms of how late the edges
are allowed to be, standard deviation, etc.

But I think people have already answered the SPI part for you.

Michael