libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: FYI: libusb-win32 v1.2.0.0 released with signed driver

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 22:07:38 +0800
On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Thomas Jarosch
<thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hmm. If libusb-win32 only supports the 0.x libusb API,
> it will be stuck with libftdi 0.x?

Correct.

> So, forgive my ignorance, the key difference between
> "libusb on Windows" and "libusb-win32" right now
> is the implemented API version, right?

Yes.

> Or will there ever be an libusb-win32 version
> implementing the libusb 1.x API?

Yes. It will be the form of libusb0.sys Windows
backend for libusb-1.0. This is on the to-do
list of Pete Batard.

The libusb-win32 project will probably still be a
separate project devoting to the development of the
open source kernel driver libusb0.sys. We of course
will still support the old 0.1 API (bug fix only) but we will
encourage the users to switch to the 1.0 API when the
libusb0.sys integration is done.

http://www.libusb.org/wiki/windows_backend
To Do
    * automated driver installation (in progress)
    * multithread sample application
    * libusb0.sys integration
    * hotplug detection

For libftdi-1.0 users, you do not need to wait for the
libusb0.sys integration, you can switch to the winusb
driver under Windows from the FTDI proprietary driver.

With the future libusb0.sys integration, you have two
more choices to use libftdi-1.0 under Windows.
1) Still using the FTDI proprietary driver, but using
libusb0.sys as the filter driver so that you can use
libftdi-1.0.
2) Using libusb0.sys to replace the FTDI proprietary driver.

This is similar to the current situation for libftdi-0.1 under Windows.
1) Using FTDI proprietary driver + libusb0.sys in filter mode
2) Using libusb0.sys in device driver mode to replace
FTDI driver.

>> So probably the link can be some thing like this.
>>
>> libusb-win32: libusb for Windows
>>
>> The you probably can add two more links.
>>
>> http://www.libusb.org Home of libusb
>> http://www.libusb.org/wiki/windows_backend libusb-1.0 Windows backend
>
> The idea was to replace libftdi 0.x with libftdi-1 soon,
> so maybe the "libusb.org - Home of libusb" link might be enough.

Yes. Thanks.

--
Xiaofan http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/