libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: FYI: libusb-win32 v1.2.0.0 released with signed driver

From: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:41:26 +0200
On Friday, 9. July 2010 14:28:34 Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> Thanks. The link added may be a bit confusing now.
> Right now libusb-win32 and libusb are two separate
> project.
>
> There is a libusb-1.0 Windows backend efforts here:
> http://www.libusb.org/wiki/windows_backend
> Currently it only supports WinUSB and HID under Windows.
> It is right now being slowly integrated into the main
> libusb-1.0 git tree.
>
> libusb-win32 is still using the old libusb-0.1 API as of now
> (plus libusb-win32 specfic asynchronous API
> including isochronous transfer support). The open
> source kernel driver (libusb0.sys) is the main efforts
> right now. In the future, libusb0.sys will be the
> 3rd Windows backend supported by libusb-1.0. We feel
> the libusb-1.0 API is better than the old 0.1 API.
> Actually there are already working codes for the integration
> of libusb0.sys but it is not official yet.

Hmm. If libusb-win32 only supports the 0.x libusb API,
it will be stuck with libftdi 0.x?

So, forgive my ignorance, the key difference between
"libusb on Windows" and "libusb-win32" right now
is the implemented API version, right?

Or will there ever be an libusb-win32 version
implementing the libusb 1.x API?

> So probably the link can be some thing like this.
>
> libusb-win32: libusb for Windows
>
> The you probably can add two more links.
>
> http://www.libusb.org Home of libusb
> http://www.libusb.org/wiki/windows_backend libusb-1.0 Windows backend

The idea was to replace libftdi 0.x with libftdi-1 soon,
so maybe the "libusb.org - Home of libusb" link might be enough.