libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Fix a bad eeprom write to a FT232RL [SOLVED]

From: Nuno Lucas <ntlucas@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:49:01 +0000
It seems I had a broken libusb lying around.
More than 6 months ago I installed libusb-1.0 and the compatibility library for 0.1, which I thought I had removed.
Today I forced a reinstall of the stock libusb-0.1 and now the eeprom write
works.

Thanks and sorry for the noise.

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas

Nuno Lucas wrote:
I just started toying with a FTDI USB-Key on Linux, using libftdi and the ftdi_eepropm utility. The kernel says it's an FT232RL chip on "dmesg".

Well, as a noob on this things, I tried to just replace the vendor, product and serial strings, and had half success at that. The success was that the write worked, but on the other hand it seems my settings broke the chip and it can't be writen any more (although it works ok reading).

I attached a full dump of the broken device and a dump of a second device I have for comparison.

It seems I wrote the eeprom for a "self powered" device instead of "bus powered" one and the MaxPacketSize for the Input EP was zeroed.

The result is a device that can be read the same as before, but either erase or write (although returning a success value) will just be ignored.

I tried the MProg program on windows to re-program the device but as soon as the FTDI windows drivers load the system reboots. I still haven't tried the FT_PROG utility because at the moment don't have a machine with .NET 2.0 installed.

Anyone know if/how I could fix this?
As I have a second device it's not that important the first one is recovered, but I would like to know if I can recover from a second bad try.

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas