libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Fix a bad eeprom write to a FT232RL

From: Nuno Lucas <ntlucas@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:16:03 +0100
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Michael Plante
<michael.plante@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, your FTDI chip probably still works.  You could replace the EEPROM;
> they're cheap (about a dollar).

I'm more of a software guy than an hardware guy. This is a FTDI
USB-Key [1], which doesn't seem to be possible to open without
breaking the plastic (and I'm a zero with a solder iron ;-).

Maybe I could hack the USB linux driver to force the values read by
the kernel (it's not the first time I make a dirty hack on the
kernel), but don't even know if the problem is on the kernel or on the
device side.

> One thing that I doubt will work, but is worth a try (if you can't solder):
> try putting libusb-win32 on there and compiling your libftdi code for
> windows...see if maybe windows will let you write to it.  It may be that one
> OS detects a broken descriptor and picks sane values, while the other
> doesn't.  If there's a way (DMM) you can verify whether or not the device is
> getting power, you can know if the OS corrected the power issue, anyway.
> Maybe not the max packet size problem, but I don't know what 0 does.

I may try this latter, but right now I don't have a suitable cross
compiler ready. But it's worth a shot when I do have one (I will have
to build one latter anyway).
Thanks for the input.

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas