libftdi Archives

Subject: How to program serial numbers to multiple devices

From: Lars Täuber <lars.taeuber@xxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 20:10:13 +0200
Hello everybody,

thanks for your effort and support for open source software!

Could you help me to program serial numbers to ftdi usb-to-serial adapters?
I don't understand how to do this with the ftdi_eeprom program for my 4 port
adapter.

It is a Lindy 4 port adapter consisting of an usb hub and four unprogrammed
ftdi devices.
https://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-c4/usb-converters-c213/usb-to-4-port-serial-converter-p462
https://www.lindy.de/USB-auf-4-Port-Seriell-Konverter.htm?websale8=ld0101&pi=42858

I can't switch of ports. So I always have 4 adapters without serial numbers.
How to tell ftdi_eeprom which device to program?

Bus 001 Device 016: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
Bus 001 Device 017: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
Bus 001 Device 018: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
Bus 001 Device 019: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

$ sudo ./eeprom
4 FTDI devices found: Only Readout on EEPROM done. Use VID/PID/desc/serial to
select device
Decoded values of device 1:
No EEPROM found or EEPROM empty
On empty EEPROM, use -w option to write default values
Decoded values of device 2:
No EEPROM found or EEPROM empty
On empty EEPROM, use -w option to write default values
Decoded values of device 3:
No EEPROM found or EEPROM empty
On empty EEPROM, use -w option to write default values
Decoded values of device 4:
No EEPROM found or EEPROM empty
On empty EEPROM, use -w option to write default values

$ sudo ftdi_eeprom --read-eeprom example.conf

FTDI eeprom generator v0.17
(c) Intra2net AG and the libftdi developers <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
FTDI read eeprom: 0
EEPROM size: -1