libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: How to program serial numbers to multiple devices

From: Lars Täuber <lars.taeuber@xxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 08:06:53 +0200
Hi Arnim,

Arnim Läuger <arnim.laeuger@xxxxxxx> on Wed, 15 Sep 2021 21:06:44 +0200:

> I'd expect that the --device option with d: format allows to address
> each adapter invidually.
>
> To talk to the first adapter for instance:
>
>    ftdi_eeprom --device d:001/016 ...
>
> It works for me with a single device, haven't used it in a multi-device
> configuration though.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Arnim

thanks for the hint.
I successfully build the image. But when I erase the eeprom I get an error:

$ sudo ftdi_eeprom --device d:001/014 --verbose --build-eeprom example.conf

FTDI eeprom generator v0.17
(c) Intra2net AG and the libftdi developers <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
FTDI read eeprom: 0
EEPROM size: -1
Used eeprom space: 94 bytes
Writing to file: eeprom.new
FTDI close: 0

$ sudo ftdi_eeprom --device d:001/014 --verbose --erase-eeprom example.conf

FTDI eeprom generator v0.17
(c) Intra2net AG and the libftdi developers <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
FTDI read eeprom: 0
EEPROM size: -1
FTDI erase eeprom: 0
ftdi_eeprom_build(): error: -6
FTDI close: 0

Searching the source code for the error it seems my ftdi chips don't have any
eeprom:
        ftdi_error_return(-6,"No connected EEPROM or EEPROM type unknown");

Does this mean I can't set the serial number to any value?

Thanks again,
Lars