libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: ftdi_usb_get_strings failed

From: "rix.li" <i@xxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 02:14:42 +0000
I turns out it's because my FT232H chip's EEPROM is empty, filled with 0xFF.
It's indeed where the chip stores customized USB descriptors values.
With the FTDI's FT_PROG utility I'm able to program the values through the
OEM driver.
Now the "find_all" program works and reports the strings I programmed into
the EEPROM.

I think you can reproduce my problem by erase the EEPROM with FT_PROG. I
think it's indeed an exception should be taking care of when libusb failed
to get the string descriptors. Maybe inform the user their chip's EEPROM
might be empty.