libftdi Archives

Subject: FT232H as SPI Slave

From: Chad Kennedy <chadkennedyonline@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 19:48:22 +0000 (UTC)
I'm hoping to use the FT232H as a SPI slave. So far I've gotten the following from the docs:
1) In the datasheet "SPI" is almost always given as "SPI (Master)".  That's not a good sign.
2) However, I also see FT232H supports being an FT1248 slave. 1-bit FT1248 look an awful lot like SPI.
3) EXCEPT FT1248, even in 1 bit mode, appears to have the slave writing to the same data line as the master during a read.
4) I know FT232H can do bit bang mode, but I'm not sure how that would work as a SPI slave, given USB latencies and a Windows program driving the thing.

Can I, in any way, achieve SPI slave operation with the FT232H? If so, any pointers in that direction would be much appreciated. If not, are there any ICs supported by libftdi that DO support SPI slave?

Thanks so much in advance for any help you're able to give!