libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: using ftdi in chroot on android

From: Jim Paris <jim@xxxxxxxx>
To: Bradley Bauer <gazingatstars.o7@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 23:08:50 -0400
Bradley Bauer wrote:
> can libftdi be used in a linux chroot on android hardware? I have gentoo
> and did successfully compile libftdi on my chroot.
>
> I have the ttl-232r usb to serial cable and am trying to hook it up to the
> nexus 7 android tablet.
>
> when I call ftdi_usb_open() I am returned -3 error code, usb device not
> found...
>
> when the usb is plugged in I get dmesg output that identifies my ftdi
> cable. I have tried with and without the kernel module ftdi_sio. I also
> have tried w/ and w/o the ftdi android app installed, which does detect my
> cable.
>
> is there any reason this will not work?

Running your program under e.g. strace would help identify where it's
going wrong.

Does the right USB device node show up under /dev/bus?  Usually it's
made by udev, or devtmpfs.  I don't know how android handles that.
If you don't have /dev/bus but you do have devtmpfs in the kernel,
maybe try:
  mkdir /dev/bus
  mount -t devtmpfs none /dev/bus
  mount --bind /dev/bus/bus /dev/bus