libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Clear the ft2232h output fifo

From: Thomas Heller <theller@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:34:35 +0200
[Forgot the copy to the list.]

>>> Another question:  According to the data sheet the output fifo has
>>> a depth of 4kBytes.  In my experiments, it only buffers 1kB - is this
>>> a configuration issue, is the datasheet wrong, or am I missing
>>> something?
>>

> I'm not sure the ft2232h has a 4k output buffer. I remember vaguely
> that it has 4k buffer space. This is then shared between various
> functions, input, output, channel one, channel two.

Hm, the datasheet

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/ICs/DS_FT2232H.pdf

on page 5, in the block diagram, shows 4 dual port buffers of 4kB each,
between the protocol engine and the MPSSE/Multipurpose UART/FIFO controllers (one for RX, one for TX, for each channel).
On page 20:

> Dual Port FIFO TX Buffer (4Kbytes per interface). Data from the Host PC is stored in these buffers > to be used by the Multi-purpose UART/FIFO controllers. This is controlled by the USB Protocol Engine and
> FIFO control block.
> Dual Port FIFO RX Buffer (4Kbytes per interface). Data from the Multi-purpose UART/FIFO > controllers is stored in these blocks to be sent back to the the Host PC when requested. This is controlled
> by the USB Protocol Engine and FIFO control block.

So, I'm wondering: does the device need 4 bytes internally to transfer
1 byte to the output?

However, for me it's fine that it doesn't buffer so much data: it allows me to interrupt the data flow more quickly.