libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: FTDI clone development

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:10:16 +0800
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Uwe Bonnes
<bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    Xiaofan> I do not think you offended anyone. I am just give a warning.
>
> I don't think that implementing an USB command compatible clone is a
> problem. The API is documented in the linux kernel ftdi_sio driver and
> libftdi. The reuse of FTDI VID/PID would be.

Even without reusing the FTDI VID/PID, using the FTDI drivers
(say Windows driver or the D2xx library under Linux/Windows)
could be an issue, if for commercial use.

> But I doubt the usefullness. No low price cortex I know of has a build in
> high speed USB phy, and implementing something like synchronous
> FIFO will be hard.

The real issue is the CDC-ACM driver under Windows (usbser.sys)
is not that good. If not, all major USB MCU vendors provide
standard CDC-ACM implementations.

--
Xiaofan