libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: FTDI clone development

From: Uwe Bonnes <bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:04:08 +0200

    Xiaofan> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Akos Vandra <axos88@xxxxxxxxx>
    Xiaofan> wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> Thank you for the warning - I know this might have some legal issues
    >> attached, which I will look into before starting the implementation.
    >> However I find it very unlikely that it would be illegal to implement
    >> a protocol which is compatible with another. If that would be the
    >> case, libftdi itself would be troubled too.
    >>
    >> I don't intend to use the FTDI chips' VID/PID, and I don't intend to
    >> sell these units for a profit either.  I am sorry if I offended
    >> anyone, I thought that a cheaper alternative would be welcomed by
    >> all.

    Xiaofan> I do not think you offended anyone. I am just give a warning.

I don't think that implementing an USB command compatible clone is a
problem. The API is documented in the linux kernel ftdi_sio driver and
libftdi. The reuse of FTDI VID/PID would be.

But I doublt the usefullness. No low price cortex I know of has a build in
high speed YSB phy, and implementing something like synchronous FIFO will be
hard.

Bye
--
uwe Bonnes                bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx