libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Emulation and spoofin of USB devices

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 16:40:05 +0800
On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Jason Hecker <jwhecker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Probably not. For one thing it is basically not possible to fake
>> another VID/PID by cheating the host OS usb stack, either
>> under Linux or Windows.
>
> It might be but I suspect it would involve much messing about with
> kernel privileged modules and drivers and prone to severe system
> failures.

Just a few reference to show you what you want to do is
nearly impossible even though it might be theoretically possible.
http://www.winvistatips.com/write-usb-filter-driver-t582630.html
http://www.osronline.com/ShowThread.cfm?link=108395

Even things like changing a serial number or changing
the bInterval descriptor are very very difficult tasks.
http://www.techtalkz.com/microsoft-device-drivers/252717-how-modify-serial-number-usb-device-usb-filter-driver.html
http://www.osronline.com/showthread.cfm?link=206292

>> On the other hand, FTDI is one of the best USB serial chipsets (if not
>> the best) you can get now. Why do you want to do this?
>
> Oh I was just thinking it'd be nice to use a H series FTDI part in
> conjunction with a software translation layer to emulate an SPI or
> JTAG debugger board for which the VID and PID is hard wired into the
> IDE/debugger binary.

What you want is something like Versaloon which has an USB
MCU inside and then you can change the firmware to emulate
other device.
http://www.versaloon.com/

The FTDI device are not that smart in this aspect even though
they are the best in class for product similar to them.

--
Xiaofan